Every morning in the Ohio Capital Journal’s free newsletter, The Eye-Opener, we round up the news and commentary from across Ohio and around the country and world that is catching our attention. We call this feature Catching Our Eye, republished here.
Please subscribe to our free daily newsletter to get all the Ohio news you need to know right to your inbox every weekday morning.
If you already subscribe, please share with your family and friends so they know about the Ohio Capital Journal too: https://ohiocapitaljournal.com/subscribe/
Catching Our Eye
• Springfield. The Dayton Daily News’ Rich Gillette and Jessica Orozco report, “Springfield mayor urges community to ‘treat one another with dignity’ following ICE operations.”
Mayor Rob Rue confirmed Wednesday, Aug. 19, that federal immigration enforcement activity is taking place in Springfield, including arrests by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
“ICE has advised city staff that its enforcement and removal operations is conducting field enforcement activity throughout the nation as part of its daily duties, including in Springfield and surrounding areas. ICE has also indicated that targeted enforcement activity will continue throughout Ohio. These are federal immigration enforcement operations. The city does not direct or control ICE enforcement activity,” Rue said.
• Not concerned. The Statehouse News Bureau’s Sarah Donaldson reports, “Husted, Moreno not worried about Springfield’s economy with TPS gone for Haitian immigrants.”
Thousands of Haitians living in Ohio, including Springfield, lost their legal status in late July. With it, went their ability to work.
Neither of Ohio’s U.S. senators are concerned about the local workforce there, even as the state touts new investments in Springfield, like Electra’s recently announced headquarters and manufacturing facilities. Electra has said it will add about 2,000 jobs.
• Following the money. WCMH’s Katie Millard reports, “Ohio governor’s race: Where donations are coming from.”
Not including his own donations or Musk’s, Ramaswamy’s records reflect he has raised $14.36 million so far in 2026. Records show 54% of those funds came from Ohio, with $7.75 million from Ohio donors. After Ohio, Ramaswamy received the most support from Florida ($1 million), Texas ($742,299.19) and California ($674,203.67)…
Since the start of 2026, Acton has raised $16.47 million. Records show 72% of the funding has come from Ohio, with Acton raising $11.8 million in-state. After Ohio, she received the most money from California ($796,260.17), New York ($534,135.61) and Washington, D.C. ($306,532.03).
• Six tornados. WYSO’s Mike Frazier reports, “National Weather Service confirms 6 tornadoes touched down in western and central Ohio.”
The National Weather Service’s analysis of the Aug. 11 storms continues, with six confirmed tornado touchdowns in western and central Ohio.
• One case resolved. Jessie Balmert reports in the Columbus Dispatch, “Ohio Supreme Court dismisses legal challenge to abortion rights amendment.”
The Ohio Supreme Court unanimously dismissed a Trumbull County judge’s lawsuit challenging the state’s abortion rights amendment.
Trumbull County Domestic Relations and Juvenile Division Court Judge David Engler, a Republican, asked the Ohio Supreme Court to block a portion or all of the reproductive rights language that voters approved 57%-43% in 2023.
Engler contended that the amendment blocked him from weighing in on whether minors can obtain abortions if their parents object to them, a concept called judicial bypass.
• Making life even more difficult for trans people, part infinity. The Statehouse News Bureau’s Karen Kasler reports, “Form used for 17 years to change gender marker on state-issued IDs no longer accepted in Ohio.”
Transgender Ohioans who want to update the gender indicated on their driver’s licenses or state IDs can no longer do that with a form that’s been used for years. And the state’s leading LGBTQ+ advocacy group says that’s a sudden and cumbersome change.
Equality Ohio said it found out Tuesday that the declaration of gender change form signed by a medical or mental health provider that’s been in use since 2009 will no longer be accepted by the Bureau of Motor Vehicles to change a gender marker.
• The latest in the Afroman saga. The Ohio Newsroom’s Kendall Crawford reports, “Ohio rapper Afroman strikes back at officer who raided his home and sued him.”
Earlier this year, Adams County resident Joseph Foreman – better known to rap fans as Afroman – prevailed in a defamation lawsuit that local law enforcement filed against him. Now, the rapper is turning the tables.
Afroman is suing one of the law enforcement officers who previously sued him, accusing him of malicious prosecution, abuse of process, intentional infliction of emotional distress and tortious interference with contract.

(0) comments
Welcome to the discussion.
Log In
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.