Gov. Mike Braun directed his energy and natural resources secretary to revisit settlements that closed or sought to close coal power plants in Indiana.
Settlements identified in aFriday executive orderinclude those that would close a plant before 50 years of service — described as the average age of retirement for electric generation units in Indiana — or where there was no allegation or finding of wrongdoing.
The secretary should also revisit agreements between plant operators and the federal Environmental Protection Agency, justice department or environmental groups where the State of Indiana was not a party, the order said.
“These consent decrees and settlement agreements should be re-evaluated in light of the current and future need for energy to power existing demand as well as future economic development in Indiana,” the order stated.
The order noted a projected 7 gigawatts-plus of Indiana coal electricity generation retiring or transitioning to another source across the next 12 years, as well as an assessment from the North American Electric Reliability Corporation determining Indiana may not have the electricity resources to keep pace with upcoming demand.
Braun aligned the need to revisit these closures alongside recent federal backing for coal plants in the state.
The Trump administrationrenewedan emergency order to keep two Indiana coal plants open for a third time in June, despite an energy executive calling one of them “inefficient” and “unreliable” andconcerns over high coststransferring to consumers.
The generating stations are now set to remain open through Sept. 19. They’d previously been slated for closure in December last year, days after the Trump administration ordered them to keep operating.
Also in June, President Donald Trump announcedhe’d direct $700 millionto refurbishing and building coal power infrastructure, including in Indiana.Indiana’s Merom Generating Station, operated by Hallador Power Co., was among 14 coal plants nationwide to be “saved.”
A previous Braunexecutive order, issued in April last year to consider extending coal plants’ operations, said that demand for electricity in Indiana “is now increasing significantly due to data center deployments related to the Artificial Intelligence race, reshoring of manufacturing, and greater consumer electrification.”
His order Friday made mention of no specific plants to be reevaluated but said Suzanne Jaworowski, the state secretary of energy and natural resources, “shall consider” the impact of extending retiring plants’ lifetimes on ratepayers. Braun also ordered agencies to advocate for “affordable, reliable baseload electric generation” in the federal rulemaking process.
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd,
racist or sexually-oriented language. PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK. Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another
person will not be tolerated. Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone
or anything. Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism
that is degrading to another person. Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on
each comment to let us know of abusive posts. Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness
accounts, the history behind an article.
(0) comments
Welcome to the discussion.
Log In
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.