(The Center Square) – An Illinois state lawmaker has been asked to resignby Democrat leadership after allegations of his sexual harassment have been investigated.
Late Wednesday, a spokesperson for House Speaker Emanuel "Chris" Welch released a statement that the investigation, conducted by the Legislative Inspector General, had concluded.
“The Legislative Inspector General's findings reveal clear patterns of conduct by Representative Benton that are outrageous, unethical, and unbecoming of a member of the Illinois House of Representatives. At my direction, Representative [Harry] Benton had already been removed from the House Democratic Caucus and stripped of all support from the Speaker’s Office. Effective immediately, and at the recommendation of the Inspector General, those actions will remain in place permanently,” according to the statement.
The statement from Welch’s office also said that Benton was being asked to resign, or he’ll be removed.
“Today, I spoke directly with Representative Benton and called for his immediate resignation from the Illinois House of Representatives. If he does not resign, we will initiate the process of expelling him from the House,” the statement said.
Benton did not respond to The Center Square's request for comment.
Benton, D-Plainfield, was stripped of all committee assignments and removed from the Democratic caucus in late February. Welch, D-Hillside, remained silenton the lawmaker’s ousting for months.
If Benton doesn’t resign, the House can expel him. That process requires a two-thirds majority vote, which may only occur once – a policy along the lines of the Fifth Amendment, preventing double jeopardy.
In response to the speaker’s statement, the campaign side of the House Republicans released a statement condemning Benton.
“Harry Benton is a disgrace. One way or another, he won’t be a state representative come January. He can leave through the front door, or the voters can throw him out in November,” read the group’s statement.
Benton’s Republican challenger in the suburban swing district for the upcoming election in November, Gabby Shanahan, also released a statement.
“For too long, families have watched prices rise, taxes increase, and their faith in government erode because of dishonest politicians and dishonest politics,” Shanahan said. “This November, voters have a better choice: more of the same, or a new generation of leadership built on integrity, accountability, and service.”
Shanahan, who lost to Benton by 4.4% – about 2,300 votes – in 2024, would likely face a new challenger appointed by the state’s Democratic chair, but Benton would be required to resign and a replacement chosen by Aug. 6, to be on the ballot.
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd,
racist or sexually-oriented language. PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK. Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another
person will not be tolerated. Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone
or anything. Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism
that is degrading to another person. Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on
each comment to let us know of abusive posts. Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness
accounts, the history behind an article.
(0) comments
Welcome to the discussion.
Log In
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.