SHREVEPORT, La. — Questions about the future of rapper and businessman 50 Cent's redevelopment efforts in Shreveport surfaced this week after he suggested on social media that he could scale back some of his plans in the city.
In an Instagram post, 50 Cent, whose legal name is Curtis Jackson, wrote that there are "people in Shreveport that just don't want things to get better" and suggested he may "pull back on the Red River." The post did not provide additional details about what prompted the comments or whether they would affect any ongoing projects.
The remarks drew attention during Tuesday's Shreveport City Council meeting, where Council President Tabatha Taylor asked Mayor Tom Arceneaux whether the city had been in contact with Jackson or his representatives.
Arceneaux said the city has communicated with Jackson's team but declined to discuss details publicly.
"Madam Chair, I'm not a mind reader, and the post that he made was ambiguous. I do not know what was meant by it," Arceneaux said.
Taylor said she wanted to reassure residents who have remained optimistic about Jackson's investment in the city following recent public appearances and project announcements.
"The hopes were high when Mr. Jackson was here two weeks ago with the groundbreaking ceremony, along with his chat that he had," Taylor said. "I don't want for individuals to think that he's not going to be here or he's leaving or that the words are null and void."
Arceneaux told council members he has seen no evidence that Jackson is abandoning any of his plans.
"I have no indication whatsoever that he is backing out of any of the commitments that he has made so far," the mayor said.
Just last month, Jackson participated in a "fireside chat" at the Shreveport Convention Center, where he discussed his ongoing vision for redevelopment projects in the city. On the same day, Jackson joined community leaders for a ceremonial groundbreaking for the G-Dome project in downtown Shreveport.
Jackson's team has not provided a firm timeline for completion of the G-Dome or other redevelopment efforts. However, city leaders said they remain confident that the projects announced so far are continuing as planned.
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd,
racist or sexually-oriented language. PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK. Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another
person will not be tolerated. Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone
or anything. Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism
that is degrading to another person. Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on
each comment to let us know of abusive posts. Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness
accounts, the history behind an article.
(0) comments
Welcome to the discussion.
Log In
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.