A Seeley Lake man pleaded not guilty Monday to four felony charges related to domestic violence that resulted in a SWAT standoff last month. 

Benji Joe Allen, 49, appeared for arraignment Monday morning before Judge Jason Marks in Missoula County District Court. He pleaded not guilty to two charges of partner/family member assault, one count of aggravated assault and one count of criminal mischief, all felonies. The charges carry a combined potential maximum sentence of 40 years in prison and a $200,000 fine. 

According to Missoula County Attorney Matt Jennings at the arraignment, these are Allen's sixth and seventh partner/family member assault charges over his lifetime. 

According to charging documents, on June 15, Missoula County sheriff's deputies responded to a vandalism and domestic violence incident in Seeley Lake. 

Allen's partner, referred to in documents as Jane Doe, and their neighbor, referred to as Sarah Doe, spoke with police. 

Both women said that morning, Allen had smashed windows in their cars with a metal pipe and threatened them. 

Jane Doe reported that Allen had threatened to kill her and blow up the block, and that he had a loaded AK-47. Both women said that Allen had threatened to kill them and a mutual friend the previous night while drunk. 

The deputy was unable to locate Allen and told the women to call him if he returned.

At about 6 p.m. the same day, they did so, reporting that Allen had bashed Sarah's head into a camper, documents state. Because Allen was still on the scene in his house nearby and was believed to be armed and dangerous, deputies treated the situation as high-risk and eventually called in a SWAT team. Allen was then arrested. 

Allen is currently being held at the Missoula County Detention Center on a $100,000 bail. His next hearing is set for Sept. 8 at 9 a.m.

Andy Tallman is the criminal justice reporter for the Missoulian.